Wednesday 10 September 2014

Into The Storm


I wish I had of seen this movie in 3D. That's the last time you'll ever hear me say that about a movie. Into The Storm is an exhilarating roller coaster ride that admittedly had me holding my breath. I'm going to put that down to this being shot in one of my favourite ways, found footage.

We follow two groups of characters who eventually meet up. There are a group of storm chasers led by Pete (Matt Walsh), who are keen to shoot their documentary about tornadoes, and two boys and their father Gary (Richard Armitage), who is the vice-principal at their high school. During the course of the day, they all get caught up in a massive storm.

This movie has some pretty amazing set pieces. They are also so improbable that no amount of science make believe they cram in will make you believe it. Shots of jumbo jets being lifted off the runway kind of give it away.

The found footage aspect would have worked well if there weren't so many cameras in movie. It jumps around from person to person to tripod so often that I was confused as to who was holding a camera. There is also an overabundance of characters who you eventually don't care about and I felt ripped off when people who clearly died, didn't.

There are a handful of decent performances however. Character actor Matt Walsh was fantastic as the head storm chaser who only cares about getting the perfect shot of a tornado. Richard Armitage brought some class to this movie, but not enough to make it good. I'm glad Sarah Wayne Callies played a more likeable character than her one on The Walking Dead.

Verdict: A slightly predictable movie about what tornadoes can and can't do. Props to the people of Oklahoma who have to live through the actual thing on a yearly basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget