Tuesday 12 August 2014

Editorial: Robin Williams, we will always remember you

I know Edward has already reported on the untimely death of Robin Williams, but I really want to get out some feelings that I had toward the man, who was definitely one of my heroes.

As I kid I loved all of Williams' performances (in the movies I was allowed to watch), whether that be Genie in Aladdin or his unforgettable performance in Mrs Doubtfire. Then when I grew older, I appreciated his other work for different reasons. He inspired me to do voices and characters and that helped me come out of my shell in high school, where I was a bit of a shy outcast. In recent years, I started watching his stand-up performances, which are hilarious.

But looking back, when I watched his comedy special Weapons of Mass Destruction at a friend's place, I could see some pain behind his extreme coked-out performance. Sure we were laughing along at the jokes, how could you not, this man was a larger than life figure, but I pains me now to remember.

As someone who has struggled with depression and has contemplated suicide, it is really hard to see a hero from my childhood go out this way. He was a figure in my life who I really looked up to and helped me through some really tough times. We will all miss you Robin.

I've decided that next month we are going to dedicate to the legend and review some of the movies that mean the most to us. I really want to end this with a clip, but I can't find anything that shows how much this man means to me.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget